Jasprit Bumrah finds redemption

By trying to carve his identity as a death bowler, Jasprit Bumrah is embarking on the most arduous sporting road. The job can be physically demanding, mentally challenging and emotionally onerous. Especially in modern age when one is scrutinized to nth degree. Though, Jasprit Bumrah has tasted only success in his, so far, young international career. The fact that he is ranked two in ICC T20 bowling ranking is its testament. The ODI series vs England was first major series where his struggles were palpable. Same was the chase in first T20I. The yorkers were missing its radar, the slower bowl was easy to detect. To make matter worse he twice got wickets off no-ball, firstly in third ODI then repeated it in 1st T20I. Playing ahead of Bhuvneshwar Kumar meant that Jasprit Bumrah has to deliver in Nagpur to stabilize his spot.

On Sunday he redeemed himself by defending eight runs off six balls to keep India alive in the series.

At 104/3 England needed innocuous looking 41 runs from 5 overs. It should have been walk in park, especially with Joe Root well set and Ben Stokes batting in the topmost gear but cricket is a funny game, nothing is definite till last pin is nailed in the coffin. Coming back, the equation was reduced to 32 off 24 balls after a mediocre Jasprit Bumrah over. The ball was with Nehra - who had figures of 7/2 at that point which comprised wickets of Jason Roy and Sam Billings. 

If the game was to turn it ought to be this over and diligent Nehra conceded only 5 runs which included key scalp of Ben Stokes - who looked to play the hoick through leg-side but was trapped lbw.

With 3 overs left, ask rate for England was 9 runs per over to clinch to the series. The pitch was tardy. So bowling into the pitch implied that batsmen had to generate pace off the bat to fetch them runs. The 3rd Jasprit Bumrah over was perfect illustration of hitting the length hard and cramping batsman for room - to free his arms. Thrice batsman missed the slog and match was reduced to 24 runs off 2 overs.  

Now the ball was back with senior pro - Ashish Nehra. ''The only thing that was going through my mind was to give as many runs to Jasprit (to defend). One bad ball, one good shot and it would have been over'' said Nehra to starsports
 / bcci.tv. The first three balls of penultimate over resulted in 4 runs. 20 runs off 9 balls. Then Jos Butler smacked a half-tracker through leg side for four runs. Two runs off next ball. 14 run off 7 balls. Then Jos Butler whipped through long-on and ball jusst eluded diving Virat Kohli. With 8 needed off last over, it was now England's game to lose. "I don't think anything was wrong with that ball, I though it will go straight into Virat's hand but it just went over.''

Death bowling can be physically demanding, mentally challenging and emotionally onerous

First ball of last over resulted in lucky wicket of Joe Root, as he was wrongly adjudged lbw with ball clearly hitting inside edge of the bat. Then new man Moeen Ali took the single and handed strike to dangerous Jos Butler. 7 run off four balls. Jos Butler swung the bat and missed the loopy slower ball. Next ball he was bowled of skidding back-of-length delivery. Still 7 runs were required with 2 balls. Jordan ran a bye. Now, if England have to win Moeen Ali needed to clear the boundary.

"I told Bumrah that even if last ball goes for four, we will still win. The majority of sixes are hit through leg-side. He asked me if he should bowl a length ball but with length ball you still have chance to go for six. So I told him you have a good yorker, look to bowl full, it's tough to hit a six even if it is a low full toss it will go four not six'' Nehra added. 

Bumrah bowled exactly as Nehra told him - yorker outside off. Moeen missed the slog and he raised his arm in jubilation. Bumrah last two overs came at an expense of only 5 runs. Team mates congratulated him and the relief was tangible on his face. ''It's difficult to bowl in the death - some days you will get hit. I tried to focus on my good days and remember those days when I am bowling well. We saw the first innings; the wicket was difficult. Slower ball was the key. We were trying to execute that.'' said a relived Jasprit Bumrah.

There is a brilliant vocable that Star India - Indian Team sponsor uses in their Indian cricket advertisements - Believe. Believe is what Jasprit Bumrah on Sunday had in his abilities and he triumphed under ginormous pressure.

Comments